Current Call for Submissions
Passages: a subcontinental imaginary
Andil Gosine, Stills from (Made In Love), 2014.
The next issue of PIX seeks to further expand the representation of ‘South Asia’ by focusing on diasporic community perspectives in order to discover the changing conceptions of regionality.
Through this open call we would like to broaden the politically bound arena of South Asia, and focus on socio-cultural experiences, themes and testimonies, which may explore shifts that are essential to re-imagining South Asia’s meaning, scope and periphery. With communities from the subcontinent spread across the world, this issue considers the entanglements of memory and space as tethered to past and ongoing migrations, and which address the complexities of belongingness and identity so as to make visible a South Asia beyond its borders – to South Africa, UAE, S.E Asian countries as well as Europe and the Americas to cite a few examples.
The call for submissions – for both still and moving images – aims to envision an alternative cartography, enlarging the physical/intellectual territory of South Asia. By exploring a visual and intersectional dialogue around evolving cultural sensibilities, we look forward to content generated through personal archives and narratives, political memorializations, and other trajectories.
We feel that a new mapping and analysis can creatively provoke conventional documentary modes, illuminating dynamic pathways and shared experiences in a global context. We would therefore like to contemplate a more inclusive
sub-continental image discourse. For the submissions, this may also occur through the perspectives of autobiography and self-reflexivity, emphasising the need for examining broader testimonies at this critical juncture.
Deadline: February 2nd, 2021
Email submissions and queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manner of Submission
- A minimum of 12 and maximum of 25 images may be sent in the form of a coherent body of work.
- Please send, via e-mail, low-res jpeg images within the range of 4 x 6 inches @200dpi. Hi-res will be requested if the body of work is selected.
- Please include captions as well as date, place, and format in which the work was made.
- Please DO NOT send links to a website. (Even your own)
- Email to: email@example.com (for submissions and queries), with the subject line “[Full Name]_Passages “
- A Dropbox link to photos and introductory text is preferred. The photographer should send a few lines (50-100 words) introducing themselves and the images. The quarterly reserves the right to make the final selection but all photographers who make submissions will be responded to in due course. There is no fee provided for the images, however when published, the quarterly will be circulated widely.
- Contributors will receive 2 copies each. All images and works will be duly accredited.
Last date of submission
Feb 2nd, 2021